Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Books For Decor

When we moved into our new place my Husband and I bought a new and way bigger entertainment center compared to our last one. With all of our entertainment stuff in their place, there was one shelve that sat empty.   

I add a few pictures, some candles, a couple of other little nik naks but didn't really like anything. The shelve needed some height...or different levels of things. At first I thought of getting a small box and just wrapping it in some pretty paper. Then I saw a picture where someone had ripped the covers off of a couple of books and took distressing ink to the pages to make their new books look old and vintage. While that's not really what I like, it did give me the brilliant idea to wrap a few books in some pretty scrap booking paper to get the different height levels I was looking for.

Heres what I came up with:  


I grabbed a couple of old books and some pretty paper that went with the over all look of my house and spray glued the paper to the book covers. I rubbed some really dark brown eye shadow on the pages to give them an older, used look. 


While the books looked good with just the paper on it, they were just a little to plain. So I gave each book their own special decor. The first one (which I covered in this really cool paper that looked like alligator skin) got just some rustic looking thumb tacks. The second got my monogram. And the third got a really cool cupboard handle that I just hot glued on.


All done and in their place. I completely love how they ended up...better then I expected to tell you the truth. Way better then just a box!!


2 comments:

  1. i really love the metal pieces like the handle and the thumbtacks. those are my favorite

    ReplyDelete