Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Goodwill Message Board

So I found this amazing frame at a goodwill for 5 bucks. It was perfect for a message board that I have been dying to make plus it came with hooks which my hubby likes. He has been asking me to get a key holder for weeks now. (I lose my keys all the time and my poor husband was getting sick of looking for them every time we want to go somewhere.) So we each got what we wanted with just one little purchase. YAY!

Here's the frame when I first got it. I took the hooks off, sand papered it really well, then spray painted it.

I used a flat black can of spray paint (I like flat black over shiny black, don't ask me why) Then I sanded the edges just a tiny bit to give it a distressed look.


 Now for the message board part:
First your going to cut a piece of cardboard to fit in side the frame. I then hot glued some cushion foam to that cardboard. If your foam is to big just cut that down too. After that you want to add your fabric. Just hot glue that down too.

Next stretch coordinating ribbon on a diagonal making several diamond shapes. Secure each piece on the back with some hot glue.

Sewing on the buttons was, in my opinion, the worst part of this project. Thank god I had needle nose pliers to help feed the needle though ribbon , fabric, foam, and cardboard. They made the job ssooo much easier!!!!

For this message board I wanted to do half white board. So my wonderful husband got a board that was close to the size I needed. He took it apart and cut it down to fit the frame. Thank you Hubby!!!

After I placed both halves of the board together I glued a piece of black ribbon down the middle to hide the seem.

Then screw the hooks back on and hang up.

All done. And I couldn't be any happier with it!!! And all together it only cost 25 bucks, which makes my husband happy!!




1 comment: