Thursday, January 20, 2011

Personalized Candy Dishes

I am obsessed with anything that you can put a monogram on. Vases, towels, jewelry, clothes, etc. I think it makes an object that much more special.

So over Christmas I wanted to give my friends something that was personal and something I made with Love
So I decided to make them all candy dishes with their names on them. And I think they turned out rather well if I do say so myself!

What You Need:
  • Armour Etch (Find at a Michael's Craft store. Prices for a small bottle $12 to a big one about $30
  • Any glass surface you want to etch. (Vase, Bowl, Plate, Mirror, Window, etc)
  • Contact paper (Kitchen drawer lining.)
  • Ruler (To place stencil in middle of glass. I just eye balled it.)
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • Paint brush
  • An exacto knife
  • A picture of what you want to etch

Step One:  Wash and dry your glass. Cut out a piece of contact paper about an inch bigger (on all sides) then your picture. Place contact paper on your glass and smooth out all air bubbles.

Step Two:  Put your picture on and tape it down on all sides. Try to get it as tight a possible on the glass.

Step Three:  With the exacto knife cut out your picture. Be careful not to cut yourself. If you are cutting out letters like "O'', ''R", "A", "P'' etc. make sure to cut out the inside first. Trust me, I learned the hard way!

Step Four:  Remove your picture and tape. Then carefully remove the contact paper to show the glass that you are etching.

Step Five:  Paint on a generous amount of Armour Etch to your stencil. Leave on for about 5 minutes. Then carefully wash off. (I did this step twice cause I really wanted the names to "POP") Then remove contact paper from entire glass area. Give one more quick wash and dry.

 Finished Product. Love It!!!

All wrapped up and ready to be handed out!!


 Here Are A Few More That I Did

A vase for my sister-in-laws first anniversary. I put the couples monogram on it. T, O, A
(I should of cleaned the glass before I took the picture. Whoops!)

This one I etched everything BUT the dollar signs. It was a little harder trying to keep all the armour etch painted on evenly and ended up doing several coats but I think it's a nice way to hold your change

My very first Armor Etch project. The "Peace And Love" vase.


No comments:

Post a Comment